Family of teenage runner Aylisha Cain who died after being hit by a lorry asking for driver to be prosecuted

Aylisha Cain was killed in a collision in West Lexham on Friday 8 July. Picture Norfolk Constabular

Aylisha Cain was killed in a collision in West Lexham on Friday 8 July. Picture Norfolk Constabulary. - Credit: Archant

The family of a teenager who died after being hit by a lorry is asking for the driver to be prosecuted.

Student Aylisha Cain, 17, died immediately after being struck by an HGV on the busy Al065 in West Lexham nearly a year ago.

The budding doctor was running with her mother when the collision happened on the morning of July 8, 2016.

Her mother, who is in her 50s, survived but was seriously injured.

A short inquest review into Miss Cain's death was held today at Norfolk Coroner's Court in Norwich.

You may also want to watch:

Area coroner Yvonne Blake said: 'The family has appealed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) so it can reconsider prosecution of the driver.'

She added the driver was travelling in the Swaffham direction at the time of the crash.

Most Read

Mrs Blake will hold a paper review into the incident at Norfolk Coroner's Court on October 6.

A CPS spokesman would not comment on the case.

Norfolk police have also been contacted for a comment.

Miss Cain was a pupil at the King Edward VII Academy in King's Lynn at the time of her death.

Paying tribute to her soon after the tragedy, academy principal Craig Morrison, said: 'Aylisha was a very intelligent, warm and generous person.

'She came to us from Litcham School having done incredibly well in her GCSEs.

'She was studying maths, biology, physics and Spanish with a view to studying medicine at the UEA in future.

'She constantly strived to do the very best she could and was committed to being involved in a wide range of activities.

'She would no doubt have gone on to do many more great things and those who knew her well will hold her close in their memories.'

The crash happened at 9.20am on a hill about half a mile north of All Saints' Church.

Two rapid response vehicles, two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer were sent from the East of England Ambulance Service.

A couple of helicopters from the East Anglian Air Ambulance were also scrambled to the scene.

Miss Cain's mother was airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

The road was closed between Castle Acre and the B1145 while emergency service teams dealt with the incident.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter