Family of Preston Fulcher appeal decision not to prosecute officer in Westwick police pursuit leading to his death
- Credit: Archant
The family of a teenager killed when he crashed his car during a police pursuit at Westwick are appealing a decision not to prosecute the officer involved.
Preston Fulcher was 19 when, on June 26 last year, the Peugeot car he was driving left the road and hit a tree near Captain's Pond, on the outskirts of North Walsham.
At a pre-inquest review into his death, area coroner Yvonne Blake explained the position of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
'There has been quite a lot of conversation with the CPS regarding this matter,' she said. 'It was a police pursuit with a suspect and the suspect crashed.
'The CPS initially decided not to level charges against the officer concerned, but the family have since launched an appeal.
You may also want to watch:
'We will not have that decision until the beginning of June, so we cannot start the inquest process until we know what criminal proceedings have been taken.'
The case has also been the subject of an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), details of which will not be released until the inquest is concluded.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 6 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 7 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 8 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
- 9 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 10 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
An IPCC spokesman said: 'The investigation is complete and the report is being shared with the appropriate parties.
'The publication of the report will await the conclusion of the HM Coroner inquest, and any subsequent misconduct or criminal proceedings.'
The inquest will be reviewed again on June 16 at Norfolk Coroner's Court, with a full inquest pencilled in for November 7.
Norfolk Police has said the officer concerned is not suspended and is still on active duty.