Family of Lucas Pontes ask for donations to stop as the Yarmouth schoolboy’s condition worsens
- Credit: Supplied
The family of Lucas Pontes has thanked the community for their generosity, but have asked that no more donations be made for the 8-year-old boy.
Fundraising events were held throughout the week for the Southtown schoolboy, who has an inoperable brain tumour.
These included a fun day and balloon release last Saturday which saw the skies above Yarmouth filled with green as a mark of hope.
But Lucas' mother Christiane and father Carlos have now asked that donations stop, after an MRI scan showed Lucas' cancer had spread to his spine.
They said this meant he had 'probably a few months or a few weeks' to live, and tributes have poured in on the 'Prayers for Lucas' Facebook page.
You may also want to watch:
Lucas is still at Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge, surrounded by family. The family had been looking to raise £20,000 so Carlos could give up work to spend time with his son, with any extra going toward treatment in America.
Earlier this week Christiane said: 'Thank you so much to all Great Yarmouth. I've lived in Yarmouth for about 13 years and I've never seen something like that. There is no difference between Portuguese, English, Polish, everyone was together for Lucas. We'll never forget what you are doing.'
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 7 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 10 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
Businesses in the borough also came together with Anglia Smartphones owner Mark Harwood putting out an appeal for others to join him in donating £10 a week for a year.
The family said the donations they have already received would help with expenses later on.