Family of James Francis, who died in fire he started at his home in Great Hockham, give thanks after inquest
- Credit: Ian Burt
The family of a man who died in a fire he started at his home have thanked the people who tried to help him.
James Francis, 81, died at a blaze at Scotgate Close, Great Hockham, on November 10 last year.
Jacqueline Lake, senior coroner, said at an inquest at Norwich Coroner's Court today (Tuesday, June 27) that the medical cause of death was smoke inhalation due to conflagration.
Three empty five-litre petrol cans were found in and near the house, the inquest heard.
Mrs Lake said: 'I'm satisfied that Mr Francis took the steps to deliberately start the fire.'
But Mrs Lake said she could not be sure that Mr Francis, who was being increasingly affected by dementia, intended to take his own life.
Mr Francis had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2016 and was also suffering from a loss of hearing and sight.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 10 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
Although he was taking medication and had seen a mental health nurse, his mental state had deteriorated.
The inquest heard how after the fire started about 3pm, a neighbour, retired firefighter Leonard Mockford, broke a glass conservatory door and risked his life by going into the house to try to save anyone inside.
Mrs Lake called Mr Mockford's action's 'very brave'.
Mr Francis's wife, Joy, had gone to an appointment and was not at home at the time.
The inquest heard that Mr Francis, known as 'Jim', was a retired joiner/carpenter, had an active lifestyle.
He went on a long walk every day, enjoyed gardening, played the piano and was an active member of his church.
Mr Francis was also his wife's carer.
His son, Chris Francesco, said: 'Dad was a loving, kind and popular person.
'We would really like to thank the neighbour and the emergency services for their outstanding work and trying to do everything they could.'
Mr Francesco said his father was also a volunteer prison visitor and regularly raised money for charity through his church.
Mr Francis's nephew, Clifton Nicholson, said: 'To those who came to the aid of the family, and the emergency services, we are so grateful to them.'
Mrs Lake gave a short, narrative conclusion that Mr Francis died in a fire that he started.