Family of five haven’t returned home following Mile Cross house fire
- Credit: Archant
A family of five who escaped a house fire last night thanks to a quick-thinking passer-by still haven't returned to their Mile Cross home.
The family were alerted after a passer-by raised the alarm by smashing a window.
The fire service said there was no working smoke alarm in the property and that the occupants were unaware of the fire until the man got their attention by breaking the window.
The emergency services were called to the address, on Mile Cross Road, Norwich, shortly after 11pm last night.
Two adults and three children made it out of the home before the fire service arrived. The family's three dogs were rescued by firefighters.
You may also want to watch:
All five occupants were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Rob Burling, watch manager, said: '[The passer-by] broke the window to raise the alarm and the reason he did that was because they did not have any working smoke alarms.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 7 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 8 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 9 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 10 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
Jim Palmer, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service station manager, told BBC Radio Norfolk 'The neighbour has undoubtedly made a difference to their survival - the smoke alarms would have made a huge difference.'
He added that the fire started in a ground floor bathroom and while it did not spread to the rest of the house, there was significant smoke damage to the building.
The family rushed out of the house in their pyjamas after the alert.
They were treated by paramedics and taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Mr Burling added: 'If that passerby had not noticed the fire, with no working smoke alarms they would not have been walking out of the property.'
It is believed the fire was caused by candles left unattended.
Mr Burling said one of the pumps was delayed due to a park bench being set on fire at a park in Old Catton.
Jim Palmer said: 'Thankfully in this instance it didn't make a difference, but it could have.'