Family members jump to safety after fire
A family had a lucky escape after a fire ripped through their home forcing them to either jump or climb down from first floor windows.
Brothers Toby, 21, and Ti Burt, 18, jumped about 9ft from their bedroom window to the ground below.
They picked up a ladder lying in their garden and put it up against the semi-detached house, to help their father David Burt and brother Terry, 23, who were in separate upstairs bedrooms, to escape.
The fire started on the ground floor of the property in Westfields, Tilney St Lawrence, near King's Lynn, at about 2.30am on Friday, while they were all asleep.
Self-employed businessman David Burt said: 'Terry shouted out to me that the house was full of smoke. You could not see your hand in front of your face, it was so thick.
'We then shouted to Toby and Ti, who share a room. Toby jumped from the first floor window, and then Ti followed him down. Then they got me down on a ladder, which was in the garden, as we'd been doing some DIY. 'We then took the ladder round to the back of the house, where Terry's room is, and got him down. His room was not as bad as mine.
'The heat was unbelievable. We would not have survived more than a few seconds in smoke like that. We were literally hanging out the windows to breathe.'
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 6 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 7 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 10 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
Mr Burt, who owns the house, said all the family photographs and the children's school reports, plus an antique bureau, had been destroyed in the blaze.
They were all taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn for check-ups, and then released.
Lynn fire station manager Bob Ayers said: 'The family are very lucky to escape as they did. There is 100pc smoke damage to the whole house, fire damage to the hall, and heat damage to the ground floor.'
While the family had a smoke detector, Mr Ayers said it was in the wrong room. He added: 'Ideally, the smoke detector should be put somewhere where it will protect the escape route.'
Have you had a lucky escape recently? Email firstname.lastname@example.org