Family home in Hempnall is gutted by major blaze

The family home in Hempnall which has been destroyed by fire.

The family home in Hempnall which has been destroyed by fire.

A family have lost their home after it was ravaged by a fire which has destroyed most of the building.

The family home in Hempnall which has been destroyed by fire.

The family home in Hempnall which has been destroyed by fire.

Jemima Pine said she was woken by her 18-year-old son Barnaby during the early hours of yesterday morning shouting for her to get out of her bed.

They called the fire service to their home on Field Lane in Hempnall, near Long Stratton, and Mr Pine tried in vain to put out the flames.

But by the time the firefighters had arrived at around 3.46am, the blaze - which was started by a tea light - had taken hold of the house.

Mrs Pine, 56, said: 'Barnaby was writing and had a little tea light lit and he drifted off to sleep. The next thing I know he is saying 'mum get up and get out of bed'.


You may also want to watch:


'He started to put the fire out so he got burnt on his arms and he was taken to hospital.

'This is what happens from a little candle.'

Most Read

Fire crews from Long Stratton, Carrow, Harleston, Loddon and an aerial ladder platform and a support pump from Earlham battled the flames.

The fire was under control by 8am and appliances had left the scene by 8.45am but a crew were called back to the house at 9.20am after the roof began to smoulder.

Kevin Flaxman, watch manager at Long Stratton fire station, said: 'By the time crews arrived the fire was fully developed.

'The whole of the upstairs was affected by the fire. The down stairs has bad water damage. But we saved the adjoining property. We were lucky there is a solid divide.

'It empathises the importance of smoke alarms, especially in the night when you are asleep, as it can wake you up.

'Make sure candles are in proper holders.'

Mrs Pine said she was grateful to the fire service, the Red Cross and neighbours, who came to her aid.

'The fire service have been amazing. And the Red Cross have been wonderful and have provided clothes,' she said.

'Neighbours who I do not know have been lovely and have supplied us with tea. They have just been wonderful.'

Mr Barnaby was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment to his burns.

The family's cat was also found safe and well.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus