Family from Yarmouth pay tribute to their ‘amazing’ son
- Credit: Supplied
A family has paid tribute to their 'sweet boy' after the eight-year-old died last weekend.
Lucas Pontes, of Southtown, died on Saturday after a battle with cancer - which he had beaten once before.
His father, Carlos, took to the Facebook group which had been set up to support the family to break the news and thank the community for their love and support.
He said: 'He had a genuine heart as pure as I had ever known in my life.
'He was a sweet boy; neat, polite, charismatic, kind and smart. I've never had any complaints of bad behaviour. He was a very good student in school, was friendly and had a lot of friends. He was amazing.'
You may also want to watch:
In the post on the 'Prayers for Lucas Pontes' page he added how he wanted to thank his wife, Lucas' mother, Christiane, for 'loving and dedicating so much to Lucas'.
Yarmouth's community spirit shone through when Lucas' story first came to light in June, and fundraising events were organised across the borough.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
The family had been looking to raise £20,000 so Carlos could give up work and spend a year with his family, after Lucas had been given just twelve months to live.
But last month they were told his cancer had spread to his spine and he then had a matter of weeks.
Lucas was then moved home and was able to meet his hero, YouTuber Dan Middleton - known as DanTDM - before he died on Saturday.
Tributes have since poured in and people on Facebook have turned their profile photos to a black ribbon in memory of the Southtown Primary School pupil.
Lucas' funeral will be held at Gorleston Crematorium, at 9.20am on August 12.
His family have asked that instead of buying flowers, for people to take the money they would spend and donate it to CLIC Sargent, the UK's leading cancer charity for children and young people. Donations will be collected at the funeral and at a service at Park Baptist Church at 6.30pm the same day.