Families moved out as fire sweeps derelict building in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant
Families were moved out of their homes as a fire swept through a derelict range of outbuildings in Great Yarmouth.
Nearby residents told of massive flames erupting from the old building, which is believed to have been for sale.
The blaze started around 10.30pm last night in School Road.
Norfolk Fire Service appliances from Great Yarmouth, Gorleston, Acle and a control unit from Wymondham were able to extinguish the blaze before midnight, and families returned to their homes. There were no injuries.
Station manager Jonathan Wilby said the building was well alight when fire crews arrived. 'Fortunately we have got four appliances in the borough, and that rapid intervention stopped it spreading,' he added.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan Cole, 20, of Sidegate Road, saw the blaze with his girlfriend and called the fire service. 'It was huge, really big,' he said. 'All I saw was the metal scaffolding fall down. It just literally melted and went down.'
It is believed the fire may have caused a power cut in the area.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 3 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 9 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 10 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m