Fakenham soldier arrives at Holt wedding in restored D-Day jeep
- Credit: Archant
A restored jeep used on D-Day was the transport for one of the most important days for a serving soldier - his wedding.
The 1942 Ford GPW was used to get L/Cpl Steven Nichols, 27, from his Fakenham home to the parish church of St Andrew the Apostle in Holt.
He married Emma Hall, 25, a laboratory technician at Crisp Maltings, Great Ryburgh, on Saturday. The reception was held at the Pheasant Hotel, Kelling.
The bride arrived in a 1930s Rolls Royce and the new Mr and Mrs Nichols left in the same vehicle.
'I wasn't keen to get my hair ruined,' Mrs Nichols said.
You may also want to watch:
L/Cpl Nichols joined the Royal Anglian Regiment at 16 and served in Iraq in 2005 and Afghanistan in 2007 and 2009.
The jeep was found by his friend and fellow serviceman L/Cpl Lawrence Kayser who restored it. He drove L/Cpl Nichols to the church.
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 3 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 4 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 5 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 6 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 7 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 'We'll be forced back on the roads' - travellers' plea at site hearing
- 10 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
The glider jeep was used on the Normandy beaches on June 6 1944 with the 2nd battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light infantry, part of the 6th airborne division, after landing at 9pm.
It was involved in the fighting until March 1945 but was damaged and left during a landing after an airborne assault on the Rhine crossing.
The bride and groom went to Reepham High School and became a couple in 2008. They got engaged on Christmas Day 2010.
They married at the Holt church because the bride's parents, Rosie and Terry Hall, were married in the same building in 1983.
Father Howard Stoker conducted the service and there were three bridesmaids, three best men, two page boys and a flower girl.
Do you have an unusual wedding story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org