F-35s set off from US on journey to RAF Marham
- Credit: Archant
Its arrival is hotly anticipated by the military and the public alike, with even foreign countries said to be keeping an eye on its landing in Norfolk.
And now the long-awaited F-35 stealth fighter jet is getting ever closer to its new home of RAF Marham, after military personnel Tweeted that four of the planes had set off from the United States on its way to the United Kingdom.
The county is set to be at the forefront of Britain's efforts to punch above its weight on the world stage when the multi-million aircraft touches down at its new home of RAF Marham this month.
The station has been busily preparing for the arrival of the warplanes with 'unprecedented' stealth capabilities, investing £250m in new runways, hangars and a command centre.
At around 4pm today (Wednesday, June 6), the RAF Tweeted a picture of the sophisticated hi-tech jet at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina.
You may also want to watch:
The Tweet added: 'The dawn of a new era: this morning, four Lightning jets of 617 Squadron set off from @MCASBeaufortSC.
'They will arrive at @RAFMarhamMedia, the new home of the Lightning Force.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut