Eye minister conducts daughter’s marriage ceremony
When baptist minister Nigel Plastow's daughters got married they knew their nuptials were in safe hands- their father was conducting the service.
For the pastor at The Vine Church in Eye has not just completed the usual fatherly role of leading his daughters down the aisle, he has then led the service for his children Sophie Bezuidenhout, 24 and Jenny Chartier, 30.
Mrs Bezuidenhout was the latest of his offspring to marry at the Church Street wedding venue on March 31 after meeting her South African husband Nic Bezuidenhout, 30 while working for the charity Soul Action in 2008.
Mr Plastow said his daughter was driven to the church from the family home in Yaxley in a Mercedes and met up with her father and the four bridesmaids and maid-of-honour who escorted her into church. He then walked in front of the couple and conducted the wedding service.
The couple are having a second wedding ceremony in South Africa before flying out to Sharm-el-Sheiks for a honeymoon.
Mr Plastow said: 'Each time I conduct the weddings I just feel the greatest possible honour a father can have. To do the whole service and take them through their vows.'
However, there is one part of the service that provokes laughter among the congregation. He added: 'There is a part of the service where I have to say 'do you give your daughter to be married,' and then I remember 'oh yes, that's me.' That usually gets lots of laughter in the congregation.'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 7 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
Mrs Bezuidenhout was leading a three-strong team from the charity to work with children in schools in deprived parts of the country when she met her husband, who is a regular baptist worshipper.
Mr Plastow married his other daughter, an occupational therapist, in 2008 after she met her husband David at Diss Swimming Pool where he is a lifeguard.
The four bridesmaids at Mrs Bezuidenhout's service were Sheri Lummas, Rachel Petty, Jess King and Jess Bezuidenhout while the maid of honour was her sister Jenny.