Eye Airfield memorial to be dedicated at the weekend
- Credit: Archant
A town will celebrate the dedication of a war memorial built to pay tribute to the US airmen who served at its airfield during the Second World War.
From 1944 to 1945 up to 10,000 airmen served at Eye Airfield as part of the 490th Bombardment Group.
To honour these men the 490th Memorial Project was set up and for two years its members worked hard to find land and gain permission to build the monument.
On Sunday, May 29 the memorial, on land off Progress Way, will be officially opened.
Veterans, who served at the airfield, and their families, will make the trip over from the US to attend the event.
You may also want to watch:
At 11am at Eye Town Hall there will be a gathering where members of the memorial project and the town mayor will speak before the Stars and Stripes is presented. And then at 1pm people will make their way to the memorial site to dedicate the black granite monument.
American service men and women from RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath will be in attendance.
- 1 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 7 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 10 Home baker opens first shop after business 'snowballed' in lockdown