Ex-Norwich City footballers pledge their support for charity golf day
- Credit: Leeway
Two ex-Norwich City footballers are supporting a domestic abuse charity, by taking part in a charity golf day.
Rob Newman and Dean Ashton are supporting Norwich-based charity Leeway by teeing off at Sprowston Manor on Thursday, April 27.
Mr Ashton attended last year's successful event and has once again pledged his support to the charity's popular fundraiser.
Both players proved to be a hit during their time in Norfolk, going on to become members of Norwich City's Hall of Fame chosen by supporters and Norwich City FC Historical Trust members.
Leeway are hoping the appearance of the two popular figures taking part will help to build on last year's total raised of £1,500.
You may also want to watch:
The charity provides free and confidential support to anyone experiencing domestic abuse, and has been operating since 1974.
They now have five safe houses and a team of more than 50 people working across Norfolk and Waveney.
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
The day costs £220 for a team of four and includes 18 holes of golf on the Championship Course, various competitions including Beat the Pro, a delicious two-course meal and the event concluding with a fundraising auction and raffle.
The money raised will help Leeway to meet increasing demand for its services, with the charity supporting over 8,000 people experiencing from domestic abuse in 2015/16.
Mandy Proctor, CEO of Leeway, said: 'We are delighted that Rob and Dean are taking part in our golf day, we really appreciate them both giving their time and helping us to raise awareness of issues affecting those experiencing domestic abuse.
'This not only helps Leeway to raise funds to enhance domestic abuse services, it also signposts people where to go if they need support.
'It is amazing how well our fundraising events are supported and I would like to thank Richard Pearce, Marketing and Development Manager of Barclays Bank, St James Court, Norwich for kindly supporting the day.'
• If you're interested in signing up, call 0300 561 0077, email email@example.com or visit www.leewaysupport.org
• For free, confidential support call Leeway, 24 hours a day, on 0300 561 0077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are in immediate danger, call 999.