'Amazing' Evie, 10, to cycle 400 miles in memory of beloved big sister
- Credit: Norfolk and Waveney Mind
A 10-year-old is planning to honour the memory of her beloved big sister by cycling more than 400 miles on her exercise bike.
Evie Owen, from Shouldham, will pedal 649km - the distance from her west Norfolk home to Land's End in Cornwall - for her sister Emily Owen, 19, who took her own life last March.
Evie will cycle 70km a week on her exercise bike to raise funds for Norfolk and Waveney Mind, which supported her family after her sister died.
She said: “I’m doing this because I don’t want anyone else to go through what my family and I have been through."
She has already raised £660 for the mental health charity by growing and selling sunflowers, and has set herself a £1,500 target for her virtual cycle to Cornwall, which was her sister's favourite place.
You may also want to watch:
A JustGiving page has been set up to raise funds which has exceeded the initial target - with around £1,700 raised so far.
Tim Owen, Evie and Emily's dad, said: “We are incredibly proud that in this very challenging and dark period for so many people, Evie is doing something positive to help others.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
“Emily was always so concerned about others and the struggles they faced while trying to deal with her own. Evie is helping to ensure that Emily’s memory lives on through her efforts.”
Beth Twite, fundraising manager at Norfolk and Waveney Mind, said: “Evie is an amazing young lady and we are so grateful for her kindness and generosity.
“Her efforts will help us to make sure that nobody has to face poor mental health alone.”
People from all over the world have raised money in the Norfolk teenager's memory.
To support Evie visit justgiving.com/fundraising/tim-owen9