Everything you need to know about Crufts 2017
- Credit: OnEdition
The world's largest dog show has returned for its 126th year, with the canine celebration taking place at Birmingham's NEC from March 9 to 12.
The dog show was first held in 1886 at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington, called the 'First Great Terrier Show', but was later named after its founder Charles Cruft.
Mr Cruft worked as general manager for a dog biscuit manufacturer and wanted to raise the standards for dog shows.
Crufts continued to grow in popularity until Charles' death in 1938, and it was eventually sold to The Kennel Club by his wife.
Its 126th year will see competitors, including many from East Anglia, attempt to steal the title from reigning champion Devon, a West Highland terrier who won the 2016 'Best in Show' prize.
The competition lasts four long days for entrants, with various events taking place from 8.30am to 8pm or 9pm most evenings.
The Best In Show award is contested for on Sunday, March 12, the final day of the competition, beginning at around 4.45pm.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
The Crufts competition is streamed live on their Youtube channel, and highlights will be shown on Channel 4 throughout the championships.
Ticket prices start at £18 and will be available on the door each day, with children under the age of 12 able to visit the dog show free of charge.