Ever wondered what’s behind this door on Brigg Street in Norwich?
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people walk by the door each day, but how many actually know what lies behind it? The answer may surprise you.
The Norwich Church of England Young Men's Society (CEYMS) is housed at 3 Brigg Street, to the left of Virgin Media and Debenhams department store.
CEMYS is a sports and leisure complex that provides recreation for gentlemen aged 16 and over.
Set over five floors, the deceptively large centre includes a squash court, table tennis room, three snooker tables, two weight training areas and a snack bar serving hot drinks and light lunches.
Founded in 1847, with the objective 'to promote the welfare of its members spiritually, socially, intellectually and physically, and to aid missions at home and abroad', the society is today looking to recruit new members as numbers are starting to dwindle.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Free, who has been with the society for 26 years and currently works as General Secretary, said: 'We provide excellent sports and leisure facilities here at CEYMS and are currently open to new membership.
'We've struggled over the last few years, facing competition from modern gyms that have cropped up across the city centre that offer the latest cardio equipment and background music, we don't have any of that, this place is more of a quiet retreat, where people can come to socialise or perhaps stop in for a break when accompanying the wife on a shopping trip.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
Membership with the society is £50 a year for adults and £25 for those under 18, guests of members are welcome for a small fee.
As well as the space at Brigg Street, CEYMS also boasts spacious playing fields at Swardeston, where pitches are provided for football and cricket.
• Norwich CEYMS are open Monday to Friday 7am until 10pm and 7am to 2pm on Saturday. For more information contact Norwich CEYMS on 01603 628572 or email email@example.com