Equestrian stars ready for action on first day of EQ Life Burnham Market Horse Trials
- Credit: IAN BURT
The stage is set for one of the showpieces of the East Anglian sporting calender, with thousands of spectators heading to north Norfolk to watch some of the world's finest equestrian competitors.
The EQ Life Burnham Market Horse Trials gets under way today, featuring Olympic riders and top international stars including William Fox-Pitt, Pippa Funnell, Sir Mark Todd and Oliver Townend.
Equestrian magazine EQ Life is the official sponsor of the event, with the EDP as media partners, and Norfolk and Waveney's Big C as the competitions' first official charity.
And as excitement builds towards the opening rounds, event organiser Alec Lochore said all the signs were good for a spectacular three days of sporting action.
'The sun is shining, the jumps are in place and the trade stands are ready to do business,' he said. 'I love this part of an event, watching the horseboxes driving in; I hope that the ice cream sellers have full freezers!
You may also want to watch:
'Even after all these years of running horse trials at Burnham Market the final few hours are a mix of excitement and apprehension for me. The fact that we have the best riders in the world, many of them bringing their Badminton-bound horses, is a great compliment to the work of all of the team here.
'I hope that lots of spectators take the opportunity to cheer them on – and enjoy some shopping on the side.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
The riders due to take part also include Norfolk's Piggy French, from North Elmham, a past European individual silver medallist, who will be competing alongside 2013 British senior squad debutants Izzy Taylor and Tom McEwen.
As well as a top-class equestrian competition, the EQ Life Burnham Market Horse Trials promises a fun day out for all the family. There will be more than 40 trade stands selling items ranging from equine equipment to garden furniture, food and jewellery.
Children can enjoy the bungee trampolines, bouncy castles and a climbing wall plus, on the Saturday, the Big C is holding an Easter egg hunt, with clues hidden all around the venue and all money raised going towards fighting cancer in Norfolk and Waveney.
For more information about the EQ Life Burnham Market Horse Trials, visit www.musketeer.co.uk
For more information about the EQ Life Burnham Market Horse Trials, visit www.musketeer.co.uk.