Buckle up for the return of Hunstanton Soap Box Derby as entries open
- Credit: Ian Burt
Entries are now open for whacky racers to join a seaside town's legendary kart race.
Following the success of its revival last year, the Hunstanton Soap Box Derby returns for a second year on Sunday, September 23 and entries for the race has been raised to 50 teams.
From 10am to 5pm free family entertainment will be available on The Green, with the races beginning at noon.
The teams will race their hand-made karts down the same course as last year - starting on the slope in Boston Square and finishing at the roundabout on Cliff Parade.
Each team will get two timed runs down the course, and the fastest will count towards the overall result with the fastest team in each age category to win a trophy.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be prizes for best-dressed team and best-decorated kart.
West Norfolk council revived this classic seaside activity as part of the Heritage Lottery-funded project to regenerate the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 3 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 10 Gunn and Walton on City watch list as Nyland future remains unclear
Last year's event attracted more than 4,000 spectators to watch the 40 racers hurl down the track.
West Norfolk councillor Elizabeth Nockolds, deputy leader and cabinet member for culture, heritage and health, said: 'The Hunstanton Heritage Gardens activities programme has been a successful part of the project to attract both residents and visitors to enjoy the gardens more extensively.
'A wide variety of activities go on throughout the year, but the Soap Box Derby was undoubtedly the highlight of last year's programme.
'We're so pleased to be organising it again and look forward to another fantastic day.'
Roger Partridge, activity coordinator for the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens, said: 'We have already had lots of enquiries from businesses and individuals who want to take part so I think it's going to be a big day and lots of fun.
'Such was the demand last year that we've raised the entry limit to 50 teams, and we expect places to go fast.
'So my message is, get building those karts, and get your entry in early to avoid disappointment.'
Entry fees are £15 for adult teams, £12 for the 13-15 years category and over-65s, and £10 for 10-12 years.
Entry is online only and is now live at www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/hunstantonevents.