Enter your team for Hilgay Raft Race next month
- Credit: Matthew Usher
The village is preparing for its annual raft race event and teams are needed to join the fun.
The Hilgay Raft Race will take place this year on July 10, and rafters will once again race along the River Wissey on their homemade rafts for charity.
Village butcher Ali Dent, one of the organisers, said: 'The raft race has been a big event in Hilgay for donkey's years - I couldn't tell you when it started.
'But in that time we've raised thousands for charities near and far – and we always have great fun at the same time.'
He added: 'Everyone is more than welcome to be part of the fun. Don't worry if you don't have enough time to build a raft – I already have a couple spare to lend to anyone who wants to take part.
You may also want to watch:
This year's event is in aid of the Norfolk-based children's bereavement charity Nelson's Journey as well as Sue Ryder.
The fun will begin in Hilgay, near Downham Market, from 1pm.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 5 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 6 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 9 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
Other highlights include the duck race as well as an inner tube swimming race. The banks of the River Wissey will be packed with food and refreshment stalls throughout the afternoon.
The entire event is also organised with the Rotary Club of Downham Market. Entry will be £1; concessions and under 12s are free.
Further information and race entry forms are available from Dent's Butchers in Hilgay. Call 01366 387686.
Are you organising a summer fundraising event? Email email@example.com