England wins 2017 Corn Cairdis
- Credit: Jane Scarfe
England have won the annual Corn Cairdis two day international bridge match against Ireland.
The team of bridge Brits came from behind to beat the Irish visitors at the Cup of Friendship which was hosted by Norfolk Contract Bridge Association and included a mayoral reception at Norwich's Theatre Royal and a celebration dinner at City College Norwich.
Christine Buchanan said: 'Our Irish friends were way ahead of us. Perhaps our lavish celebrations last night left our visitors the worse for wear.'
Norwich Lord Mayor Marion Maxwell said she had no idea what to expect when she attended but really enjoyed it and is planning to learn to play bridge when her term of office ends.
Irish captain Rita Cassidy said: 'We're disappointed not to win but congratulations to the English team. It's been such a great weekend.'
You may also want to watch:
Next year's Corn Cairdis will be held in Dun Laoghaire near Dublin.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday