Engineers at scene of traffic light failure in Yarmouth’s busy Southtown Road
- Credit: Liz Coates
Relief is on the way for motorists simmering in traffic queues along Great Yarmouth's Southtown Road.
One of the main arteries into town is clogged today owing to traffic light failure outside the Vauxhall garage at the junction with Station Road.
The lights had reportedly stopped working yesterday evening.
Engineers were on the scene early this morning working to resolve the problem.
One worker said other maintenance work had been scheduled at the site today further complicating the issue, adding that they were old posts and that the job would take 'as long as it takes.'
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile frustrated motorists found their journeys were taking much longer than usual.
One woman who lives in the street rounded on Norfolk County Council who own the lights for not putting in temporary lights or fixing them sooner.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
She said traffic had been at an 'absolute standstill' since last night with people trying to push out from Station Road.
'I will be late for work,' she said. 'It has taken me ten minutes to get ten yards.'
'It causes chaos. They came out and put a broken traffic light sign up but that was it.'
A spokesman for Norfolk County Council said engineers were working to pinpoint a cable fault that had damaged the control centre.
She said the fault could be connected to a collision last week when a pole was damaged.
The other scheduled work was to repair the post.
She added that it was not possible to say what time the lights would be restored.