Employee deported as New Raj Mahal is stripped of alcohol licence
- Credit: Archant
A restaurant has lost the right to serve alcohol and one of its employees has been deported.
The New Raj Mahal Tandoori, in London Road South, Lowestoft, had its licence revoked, following reports of irregularities at the premises, at a meeting of Waveney District Council's licensing sub committee.
The hearing was on Thursday, September 28.
Suffolk Constabulary confirmed that the licence to serve alcohol had been revoked.
A spokesman said: 'Suffolk Police works proactively with partner agencies to ensure that all licensed premises throughout the county are managed safely and appropriately.
You may also want to watch:
'We work closely with immigration officers from the Border Agency to remove those who have no proof of work or are not seeking employment. They will then be offered assistance with immigration applications.'
He added: 'One man discovered working in the Lowestoft premises has since been deported.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 6 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 7 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
Waveney District Council explained that the hearing took place after Suffolk Constabulary made an application for the review of the premises' licence authorising alcohol sales.
A council spokesman said: 'The application was seeking the revocation of the premises licence on the grounds that a person closely associated with the licence holder had been found to be undermining the licensing objective of the prevention of crime and disorder by employing persons disqualified from working in the UK due to their immigration status.'
The New Raj Mahal Tandoori was approached for a comment, but declined.