Elizabeth Truss the first to begin works on new community hall in Marshland St James
- Credit: Ian Burt
Works have officially started on the £1m project to build a new community and sports centre in Marshland St James.
South West Norfolk MP, Elizabeth Truss, marked the occasion by getting her hands dirty and being the first shoveller to begin the works in Smeeth Road on June 16.
She was joined by West Norfolk council leader Brian Long and pupils from Marshland St James Primary school.
Ms Truss said: 'The local residents have done an amazing job at fund raising for the new community and sports centre.
'Work is scheduled to be completed within six months and will have a fantastic array of activities from bowls to Zumba, skate boarding to basketball, new catering facilities, shop and computer club.
You may also want to watch:
'It was great to see the primary school children at the site today and I look forward to enjoying a coffee in the new café by the end of the year.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 7 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 8 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 9 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns