Elderly woman who suffered serious burns in Snettisham fire named locally
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have praised the use of smoke alarms linked to care collecting agencies after an elderly woman suffered serious burns when her clothes caught fire.
Crews found the woman, named locally as Betty Bryan, in a lot of pain at her home in Snettisham when they attended on Friday night.
Paramedics treated her before she was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn.
District manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Services, Tim Edwards, who attended the blaze, said: 'When we arrived the smoke alarm was sounding. 'The woman lived on her own but, thankfully, she had a monitored smoke detector linked up to a care collecting agency, which I'm an advocate of.
'She was in the front room. She had suffered significant injuries and was in an awful lot of pian, but was aware of what was happening.
You may also want to watch:
'Her clothes were on fire and she suffered significant burns to the lower part of her body.
'The air ambulance was called, but not needed.'
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 4 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 5 Week's worth of fuel gone in hours at village filling station
- 6 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
- 7 NASA rocket spotted over Norfolk
- 8 Why are there queues for petrol - and do you really need to fill up?
- 9 Norfolk Broads' village in £150,000 bid to buy land at auction
- 10 Fuel shortages are on those who panicked - don't just blame the media
He added that she was a smoker and the fire was connected to her lighter.
Neighbours named the woman as Betty Bryan, who is believed to be in her 80s.
One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: 'We saw the fire engines and the ambulance. We were were told by paramedics that it was a small fire but the woman had been injured. She has lived there about five or six years.'
No fire damage was caused to the outside of the building.
The Rev Veronica Wilson, vicar of Snettisham, said: 'We prayed for her at church today, and our thoughts and prayers go out to her family.'
Fire crews from Heacham, Hunstanton and King's Lynn North were sent to the blaze in Park Close at about 8pm.
Do you know the woman involved? Email firstname.lastname@example.org