Elderly man freed from car after Nissan Micra ‘takes off’ and crashes into house in Thetford
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man has been freed from his car after leaving a road and crashing into a house in an adjacent street, six feet below.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing the Nissan Micra 'take off' as it left Mundford Road and collided with a house in Tithing Close, Thetford.
Two Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service appliances from Thetford were called to reports of the crash just before 11am.
They worked with Norfolk Police and the East of England Ambulance Service Trust to free the elderly man, who was believed to be in a stable condition, with minor injuries.
The incident took place opposite the Mundford Road junction with Churchill Road. The cause is unclear.
Derek Sim, Thetford Fire Station manager, said his crews had helped check the building.
'Because it's a car into a building, we checked for structural damage, but we think it's okay.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 5 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 6 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 7 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 8 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 9 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 10 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
'A building surveyor will come out and check it further but the chances of collapse look very slim,' he said.
The occupants of the house were not affected, according to Mr Sim.
Norfolk Police have been controlling traffic at the scene while it is cleared.