Eight crews from Cambridgeshire and Suffolk at scene of thatched homes blaze at Witchford near Ely
- Credit: Archant
EIGHT crews tackled a blaze in Cambridgeshire tonight in a row of thatched homes.
The alert was raised at 9pm when fire broke out in the roof of one of the properties. The extent of the damage is not known but all occupants were out of the houses when emergency services arrived.
A Cambs fire spokesman said: 'Crews are currently at a thatch fire in Witchford, East Cambs - firefighters working hard to extinguish'.
Fire fighters from across the county – and from Suffolk too- have been called to help extinguish the blaze.
Two crews from Cambridge, one crew from Ely, one crew from Littleport, one crew from Chatteris, one crew from Soham and two crews from Newmarket are at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
There is also a turntable ladder from Cambridge, a water carrier from Yaxley near Peterborough and an incident command unit from Huntingdon.
Moments ago the spokesman said: 'Firefighters are using jets and hose reels to extinguish the fire and are cutting away at the roof. Crews are still working at the scene.'
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 6 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 7 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 8 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
UPDATE: At 11.43pm the fire service tweeted that 'crews have extinguished the thatch fire and will now be scaling back'.
They added: 'Thanks for messages of support'.