Children as young as 10 can get behind the wheel in driving scheme heading for Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
Children as young as 10 could be behind the wheel as part of a scheme to create the next generation of safe drivers.
The national Young Driver programme will hold its launch event in Norfolk next month, offering anyone over the age of 10 the chance to drive in a safe environment.
Youngsters will be able to drive the dual-controlled Vauxhall Corsa with qualified driving instructors on a specially designed road system with signs and areas to practice manoeuvres.
The team say that one in five newly-qualified drivers crash within six months of passing their test, rising to 40pc for 17-year-old males - but, using the scheme, the rate of accidents drops by more than half, to fewer than one in 10.
The scheme, which will run at the Norfolk Showground, has so far given almost 500,000 lessons at more than 50 venues across Britain.
You may also want to watch:
Laura White, head of marketing at Young Driver, said: 'We are really excited to be launching in Norfolk for the first time. We have been actively looking for sites in the region for quite some time, as we frequently have requests from parents and youngsters, and so it's great to have found somewhere so ideal.
'The Norfolk Showground is a fantastic, large space, with a ready-made road system, so we'll be able to create a really interesting and realistic driving experience for youngsters.'
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 10 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
She said it was important to train drivers over a long period of time and added: 'By starting at a younger age you can more easily focus on attitude and behaviour and you have a better chance of tackling a young person's sense of invulnerability.'
The event will be held at the Norfolk Showground on Saturday, December 9, and 30- or 60-minute lessons - which start from £34.95 - must be booked in advance.
It will initially run once or twice a month at the showground, with confirmed dates so far on January 14 and 28, February 10, 14 and 24, March 17, April 28 and May 19.
For more information, to book a lesson or to buy vouchers click here or call 0844 371 9010.
What do you think of the scheme? Share your thoughts by writing, with full contact details, to EDP Letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org