Wheelchair dance is on the timetable at The Garage in Norwich
- Credit: supplied by The Garage
Wheelchair dance is now on the timetable at The Garage as part of the venue's aim to offer more performance opportunities for people with disabilities.
The classes for young people aged 10 to 25 began yesterday, and the venue believes it is the only place in the county that currently teaches wheelchair dance. There are two classes each Friday evening, one of which is aimed at people with special educational needs and disability (SEND).
Carrie Mansfield, The Garage's creative director, said: 'The ultimate goal is to make sure people with physical disabilities are able to access all of our classes, this is our first step to meeting individuals interested in dance, working together to build skills and eventually producing high quality performance work. We would welcome young people with any physical disability to sign up. Our dance artist tutors are happy to adapt the session to a variety of physical needs, so please do get in touch and give it a go.'
Hannah Bullent, participation co-ordinator and dance artist at The Garage, said: 'Friday night's class was a lovely way to start what will be an exciting venture for The Garage. We had a great time with the group who responded creatively to movement and sensory objects and explored moving in the space with each other.'
The tutors have been trained by the Wheelchair Dance Sport Association and wheelchairs are available to borrow for anyone with limited mobility but who doesn't have their own wheelchair.
You may also want to watch:
For more information call The Garage on 01603 283382.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos