Upwell primary becomes an academy
- Credit: Ian Burt
Two west Norfolk primary schools have become the latest to officially open under a growing academy chain.
Upwell Academy and North Wootton Academy have today joined the College of West Anglia (CWA) Academy Trust, which already has six academies in the district.
Upwell, near Wisbech, has more than 170 students on roll, while North Wootton, on the outskirts of King's Lynn, educates more than 300 pupils.
On Tuesday, chief executive of the trust Duncan Ramsey and acting Upwell Academy principal Haidee Norman gathered at Upwell to officially mark the occasion and unveil the school's new uniform, which features the village bridge.
Mrs Norman said: 'We have the opportunity to turn our good school, under the guidance of CWA Academy Trust, into an outstanding one. Recent Ofsted results for other primary schools within the trust have only confirmed that our decision to join the trust was indeed the correct one for our school.
You may also want to watch:
'Collaboration with schools which have such high expectations and results can only be for the benefit of our children and their learning, and our community. The staff are excited to begin this new chapter and we look forward to an exciting future.'
Jonathan Williams, principal of North Wootton Academy, said: 'We are really pleased to have joined academy trust today.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
'The school has benefited informally in terms of advice and support from the trust, for the past two years, so I am delighted that North Wootton is now part of CWA Academy Trust and will be able to build on this support in the future.
'This is a very exciting time for North Wootton Academy and I am optimistic about the opportunities this partnership will bring, given the considerable success the trust has had recently with its primary academies, Nelson and Eastgate in particular.'
Mr Ramsey praised both schools, describing Upwell as a 'lovely school with an excellent set of staff and supportive parents' and saying North Wootton 'lies at the heart of its community and has a wealth of strengths'.
Do you have an education story we should be writing about? Email firstname.lastname@example.org