UEA link with Sewell Park College launches new scheme to help struggling schools
- Credit: Archant
A new scheme will see the University of East Anglia target help at pupils at local schools in difficulties.
Sewell Park College is the first school to sign up for the Schools Partnership Scheme, which aims to offer schools resources and benefits from the UEA's outreach team.
The school, which was put in special measures last November, will have a UEA graduate intern designated as a UEA champion, spending one day a week with it for three months, trying to raise the aspirations and supporting attainment.
UEA staff, including the UEA champion, visited the school to mark the occasion and met some pupils to tell them about the benefits it could offer them.
Ros Lunny, personalised learning manager at Sewell Park said: 'Sewell Park is really happy to be involved in this innovative scheme with the UEA. Anything we can do to help raise aspirations for our students can only benefit all involved.'
You may also want to watch:
Other activities the scheme involves include attending parents' evening, campus visits for pupils with taster workshops, a family day on campus, and talks and workshops on higher education.
There will also be 15 funded places on UEA enrichment events, and at least two guaranteed place on outreach summer schools.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
Claire Petley, head of recruitment and outreach at UEA, said: 'We're delighted to have Sewell Park formally on board with our new Schools Partnership Scheme, which we really believe will be of great benefit to the schools taking part.
'Many of the schools we have identified for the scheme have already expressed an interest in joining the partnership which is fantastic, and we are in the process of formally requesting they join.'
Do you have an education story? Email email@example.com