This Sheringham teenager is one of the brightest maths students in the UK
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk teenage maths whizz has been named in the top 100 students nationally, in an annual competition attracting more than 200,000 young people from all over the UK.
Fifteen-year-old Sheringham High School student Cameron Richards was invited to take part in the UK Mathematics Trust Olympiad after gaining a high score in the first round of the contest.
Competing in the intermediate section – aimed at school years nine to 11 – Cameron had to sit a two-hour paper with six extended questions and was one of only 100 students to gain a distinction grade.
'I enjoy the challenge and I just felt very happy,' Cameron said. 'I want to study maths and further maths for A level and, eventually, I'd like to do a job that involves maths.'
Sheringham High School acting head of maths Peter Davison said Cameron, who regularly has to be given extended activities in maths lessons as he completes work so quickly, had achieved a 'truly outstanding' result.
You may also want to watch:
'Every now and again, we get an exceptional mathematician, but none of our students has ever done this well,' he added.
Head teacher Dr Andrew Richardson said: 'Maths is often seen at a rather difficult and solitary pursuit, but competitions like this really raise the profile of the subject and add a bit of spice to it. Successes like Cameron's will inspire students throughout the school.'
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk