Survey by anti-academy Hewett campaigners highlights concerns
- Credit: Archant
More than 80pc of people who took part in an online survey organised by anti-academy campaigners have said they do not want the Hewett School to be sponsored by the Inspiration Trust.
The poll, which 358 people took part in - all but two of whom gave a Norfolk postcode - was set up by the We Back Hewett campaign, and the results were released ahead of those of the statutory consultation on the government's proposals, which are expected to be published next week.
A total of 84pc of participants said they did not believe the Inspiration Trust was an appropriate sponsor, while 92pc said they did not have confidence in the process used to academise the school.
62pc said they had links with the Hewett.
An Inspiration Trust spokesman said: 'It is not much of a surprise that a survey organised by people opposed to academies came down against academies.
You may also want to watch:
'We know that not everyone agrees with the proposals for the Hewett School but we believe they are the best chance to deliver a strong and rounded comprehensive education to the school's 600 pupils, and to start getting that number back up to the 1,400 students that used to attend.
'We want the school to be loved by the whole city once again, not just by a small, dedicated core of campaigners.'
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
The school's interim governors declined to comment, as they were awaiting the results of the statutory consultation.
Do you have an education story? Email email@example.com