Students self-isolating after confirmed coronavirus case at college
- Credit: Archant
Five students are self-isolating after a college confirmed a positive case in one of its teaching bubbles.
Urmila Rasan, deputy chief executive at East Coast College, in Great Yarmouth, said: “A student at our Great Yarmouth campus has tested positive for Covid-19.
“We immediately informed the health protection team and followed their advice and instruction.
“As soon as we were alerted to the case we worked to identify those who had been in recent contact.
“This included only four other students who were asked to go home and self-isolate for 14 days to prevent any further spreading of the virus.
You may also want to watch:
“They will now be supported with their learning online from home.
“We take the health and safety of all of our staff and students extremely seriously and have strict guidelines in place around social distancing, keeping two metres apart, sanitising hands regularly and wearing face masks in communal areas.
- 1 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 2 Drama as police plane circles villages for missing person
- 3 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 4 Rogue trader jailed after taking thousands of pounds from customers
- 5 Builder wants zero affordable homes in development – after promising 13
- 6 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 7 More than 40pc of people in Norfolk have now had their first Covid jab
- 8 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
- 9 Seafront beach chalets demolished as part of major £1.6m scheme
- 10 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
“Throughout the coronavirus period we have had a very low number of cases and this is thanks to the established protocols we have in place.”
She went on to say that those directly affected had been informed, adding: “We don’t as a rule send this information out to everyone involved with the college to prevent further alarm at what is already an emotional and challenging time.”
“East Coast College remains open as normal with an enhanced cleaning protocol in place and we would like to wish our student all the best in their recovery.”
The college has some 5,000 students.
Anyone with concerns is asked to contact the college, leaving a message if they cannot get through.