Pupils go head-to-head in maths challenge at Langley Prep School
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
Dozens of children from across the county have converged on Langley Preparatory School to put their mathematical skills to the test.
The Year 5 pupils from more than 20 schools yesterday took part in the first day of a maths challenge, organised by former teacher Douglas Buchanan, with Year 6 pupils due to take part this afternoon.
Michael Stone, nine, from Langley Prep, said he enjoyed the event because he likes maths.
He said: 'It was not just doing sums. We did some really fun puzzles, as well as dominos and tangrams.'
While Thursday's activities were largely based around problem solving, David Sowry, deputy headmaster at Langley Prep, said today's challenges for the older pupils would be more mathematical, including algebra, and number challenges in the style of the Channel 4 programme Countdown.
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'It probably stretches the vast majority beyond anything they would do in their lessons. I have been practicing with my class, with some problem solving. A lot of children who think they are good at maths can compute very quickly, but they are not always good at applying that to problems, and it's a real opportunity, not necessarily for the best mathematicians, but the best problem solvers, to come forward.'
He said the event brought a competitive edge to maths, that pupils would usually only come across in sports or the arts, and that four schools won prizes for their performances: Town Close Prep, Norwich Lower, Cringleford Primary and Langley Prep.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
Do you have an education story? Email email@example.com