Pupils from St William’s Primary School learn about road safety with the Thorpe St Andrew community speedwatch team
Schoolchildren have been out and about learning about road safety with the community speedwatch team in Thorpe St Andrew.
About 60 youngsters from St William's Primary School, in William's Loke, Thorpe St Andrew, took it in turns to watch the speedwatch team in action on St Williams Way yesterday morning.
Margaret Scales, one of the class teachers, said the two reception classes had been spending time learning about transport and vehicles, and that part of their learning had included talking about the roads near the school.
She said spending some time with the speedwatch team, which includes one of the school's governors Jill Wigy, had been a great addition to the children's learning.
Mrs Scales stressed that the children, who are all aged four or five, did not do any of the speedwatch checks themselves, but that they investigated the equipment and watched the speedwatch team at work checking the speed of passing cars.
You may also want to watch:
'It has given them more of an understanding of the traffic around in their local environment, and about how everybody has to take responsibility to keep themselves safe,' she said.
Do you have a schools story from the Norwich area? Email the Norwich Evening News education correspondent Victoria Leggett at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
photo: steve adams