Principal of Norwich’s Hewett Academy Tom Leverage to leave school this year and take up headship at Coventry Catholic school
- Credit: Archant
The principal of the Hewett Academy in Norwich is to leave at the end of the school year to take up a headship at a Catholic school.
Tom Leverage joined the school in May 2015, as it controversially transitioned from the local authority-run Hewett School to the Hewett Academy, operated by the Inspiration Trust.
The trust confirmed on Monday that Mr Leverage has accepted a headteacher post at the Cardinal Wiseman Catholic School in Coventry from September.
Until a new full-time principal is appointed, Gareth Stevens, who has been executive principal at both Hethersett Academy and the Hewett since September, will continue to oversee both schools.
Mr Leverage said: 'I am sad to be leaving the Hewett Academy at the end of this term, but I also relish the rare opportunities my new role at Cardinal Wiseman Catholic School will bring to fully unite my faith and my passion for education.
You may also want to watch:
'I am grateful for the support of so many pupils, parents, and staff who have helped us raise standards across the academy, and colleagues across the Inspiration Trust who have done so much to support us.'
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
Before joining the Hewett, Mr Leverage, one of three people interviewed for Inspiration Trust job, was previously deputy headteacher at the nearby Notre Dame High School and has worked at Eaton Hall Specialist Academy.
Trust chief executive Dame Rachel de Souza said: 'We are very sorry to be losing Tom, who over three academic years has done a fantastic job in laying the foundations for future success at The Hewett Academy.
'Given Tom's personal faith we fully respect his desire to lead a Catholic school and we wish him and his family all the best for the future.'
He took over the Hewett during something of a crossroads for the school - after suffering disappointing exam results, it had been put into special measures six months earlier and was due to become an academy that September.
Though it is yet to be inspected by Ofsted as an academy, the Hewett is still overcoming issues.
In April, we revealed that of the 180 places for year seven students starting in September, just 43 had been filled, leaving 137, 76pc, empty.
Its progress score for GCSEs in 2016 was also -0.54, below the national average of -0.03.
• Do you have an education story we should be writing about? Let us know by emailing Lauren Cope on email@example.com