Picture gallery: Celebrating World Book Day at schools in the Norwich area
World Book Day was celebrated at schools all around the Norwich area last Thursday with a variety of different fun events.
At City of Norwich School the day was marked in collaborating with READ International, a charity that sends books to third world countries such as Tanzania and Uganda.
Pupils raised funds for READ through cake sale and a fancy dress competition, charging �1 or 50p if they brought in a book, to dress up as their favourite book character.
At breaktime cakes, biscuits, cookies and muffins that had been brought in were then enjoyed, priced from 20p to 60p, which were then sold out at lunchtime.
Over �700 towards a �2,000 target to get 5,000 books over to Tanzania by the event.
You may also want to watch:
Similar fun was had at Mile Cross Primary School, where all pupils and staff dressed as their favourite book character for the day and an award was given to each class for the best character.
At St Faiths Primary School all pupils also came to school dressed as their favourite character from a book, with the Harry Potter books proving very popular.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
The children were also encouraged to bring in some books they had finished with to swap with friends and enjoyed browsing through the books in the 'swap shop' to choose new ones to take home.
- To see lots more pictures from local World Book Day events, see the picture gallery at the top-right of this page.
- Is your school holding an event? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com