Norwich youth project to close due to lack of numbers
A Norwich-based youth project giving young people practical experience of the motor industry is to close because of falling pupil numbers.
Open Road, which is run by the Open Youth Trust, said the project was no longer financially viable.
The programme offers courses for pupils interested in cars who need an alternative provision to help them engage in education.
Sarah Mintey, Open principal, pictured, said: 'Over the past six years, the project has worked with more than 500 young people, helping them gain industry-recognised qualifications in the motor trade.
'Since January 2012 we have experienced a reduction in pupil numbers at the facility which has resulted in the project no longer being financially viable.
You may also want to watch:
'We have, however, experienced an increase in demand in the range of courses available at the venue so, responding to need, the trust has decided to close the Open Road facility.'
The Open Youth Trust was recently awarded a �300,000 grant by the Big Lottery Fund's Reaching Communities programme. Ms Mintey said: 'As a trust we remain committed to working with young people who need to re-engage into education and that is why our Reaching Communities grant focuses on working with young people who are at risk of exclusion or are not in education or employment.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 8 City confirm midfielder exit
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
The Norwich-based programme will end on June 8.
It is not linked to Open Road West Norfolk, in King's Lynn, which will continue.
Were you helped by Open Road? Contact Victoria Leggett on 01603 772468 or email firstname.lastname@example.org