Norwich School pupils take to the stage with The Cherry Orchard
- Credit: submitted
Norwich School pupils are taking to the stage with a production of the The Cherry Orchard this week.
The show opened at Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre last night and runs until tomorrow.
Written by Anton Chekhov, the classic play takes its audience to rural Russia in 1904 and into a faded, romantic house on an estate with the most enormous cherry orchard for miles around.
The trees are in full bloom, and the revolution is encroaching fast, and with their production the Norwich School cast of actors reveal an anguished and heart-breaking love letter to a society in violent transition.
The show has been directed by Matilda Ziegler, the school's director of drama and whose own professional acting career has included performing in West End theatres as well as appearing in television programmes such as EastEnders, Mr Bean and Lark Rise to Candleford.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I have been waiting for the right opportunity to direct this wonderful Chekhov masterpiece. Its subtle pathos combined with Russian exuberance needs a brilliant and talented cast and I certainly have the perfect group of actors for this production. I treat the pupils like actors, and in return they are incredibly poised and hard working.'
Year 13 pupil Sophie Grisewood said: 'Performing in The Cherry Orchard has been unlike any other experience; the play itself and the other actors have inspired confidence in my performance.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
'Mrs Ziegler's professional experience has been invaluable; learning from someone who has done it all before has been wonderful. The process of rehearsing with the entire cast and crew has been so much fun and both the script and Mrs Ziegler allows each individual to shine.'
The play is at the Maddermarket Theatre until tomorrow.
Tickets £8 (£4 concessions). For more information and to book visit www.maddermarket.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 620917.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org