Norwich School cast to perform Oscar Wilde show at The Garage
- Credit: submitted
Fresh from taking their Oscar Wilde production to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, a cast of Norwich School pupils are preparing to take to the stage in their home city.
The sixth-form theatre company Oscar's Eleven will be presenting their version of Salomé at The Garage,in Chapel Field North, on Friday and Saturday.
Adapted by Richard Allain, Norwich School's director of music, the show depicts a fateful evening of lust, suicide, murder, faith and politics. Founded on stories taken from the New Testament and historian Josephus, the one-act production tells the tale of Herod's lust for Salomé which is eclipsed by her own forbidden desire. The cast performed the show in Edinburgh in August and enjoyed praise from critics.
Pupil George Rolls, who plays the prophet Jokanaan, said: 'The run at the Fringe was an amazing experience for the entire cast. The reviews from critics helped us all to develop and understand how to improve our own individual performances and will no doubt add to the already high quality of the school's plays and musicals. We are really looking forward to performing back on our home ground in Norwich.'
Head master Steffan Griffiths said: 'There is no doubt that performing at the Edinburgh Fringe has provided these pupils with a rich educational experience. They are a talented group of young people whose production has grown to reach a high standard; I am therefore delighted that the people of Norfolk will get the chance to see this impressive show as it returns home to Norwich.'
You may also want to watch:
Salomé is at The Garage, on Friday, at 9pm and Saturday at 5pm and 9pm. Tickets are £10 (concessions £6). To book visit www.thegarage.org.uk
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp