Norwich MP joins forces with Wensum Junior School pupils to support global campaign
A Norwich MP has joined forces with city youngsters to call for leaders around the globe to stick to their pledges to provide quality primary education around the world by 2015.
Pupils from Wensum Junior School met Norwich South MP Simon Wright to launch their Send My Friend to School campaign which urges governments to stick to the Millennium Development Goals signed by 180 countries - one of which was to provide a quality primary education for all children by 2015.
As part of the worldwide campaign, of which Wensum Junior is one of 6,059 schools taking part, students from each year group have created medals asking countries to 'Go for Gold' to showcase the need for more primary education.
Mr Wright said 'Meeting members of the school council I was impressed at their passion and commitment to the campaign. 'Education is a fundamental human right and it's a tragedy that millions of children across the world don't have access to something we all take for granted.
'I am writing to David Cameron to seek assurances that the government will continue to champion the development of education across the world and use it's influence to ensure that governments continue to invest for children's futures.'
You may also want to watch:
In 2000, 180 countries signed up to the Millennium Development Goals, a set of promises to tackle issues like hunger, poverty and inequality.
One of those promises was to provide a quality primary education for all children by 2015. Though progress has been made, figures have revealed that 67 million children are still missing out.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 5 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 8 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 9 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 10 Holiday let plan rejected due to flooding concerns