North Walsham students quiz MP Norman Lamb in parliament
- Credit: NWHS
Students from North Walsham have been learning about democracy at the heart of where it all happens – at the Houses of Parliament.
Twenty-two Year 9 students from North Walsham High School travelled to the capital for a tour of the seat of UK government, and to take part in a workshop on campaigning.
The group saw both the House of Commons and House of Lords in session, before taking part in the workshop in Parliament's state-of-the-art 360° Immersive Projection Space.
After watching a video about the Suffragette campaign to win the right for women to vote, the students were asked to come up with their own ideas for a campaign – with topics suggested ranging from the abolition of homework to equal pay for women.
North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb then joined the group for a question and answer session.
You may also want to watch:
NWHS head teacher Neil Powell said: 'It is so important that our young people learn about democracy, and how vital it is to engage with the political process. We all have a duty to defend our basic freedom to determine who leads us, and to be able to hold them to account, whether we are old enough to vote or not.
'The sad fact is, young adults are less likely to vote than any other section of society. Young people have become disengaged from the political process, and that is a key challenge facing our democratic process. Visiting the cradle of British democracy is a great way of helping young people re-engage with the political process, and learn about their responsibilities in the wider world.'
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Full-back signs for Burnley after Canaries release