Norfolk drama students create production to highlight the dangers of drugs and alcohol
- Credit: submitted
The dangers of drugs and alcohol will be highlighted in a production by Norfolk drama students.
Dragon Chaser – a play about the nervous breakdown of a teenager through drug and alcohol misuse – is being rehearsed by DramActive Academy Seniors Group based at Hethersett High, and takes to the stage in Norwich this June.
Students aged 11 to 26 are in the show. It is directed by drama teacher Jane Ashdown who said it was important young people were involved in spreading the message about the perils of drugs and alcohol to fellow young people.
'Dragon Chaser is quite hard-hitting,' she said.
'The students have really taken it on board and are always coming up with new ideas for the show. It is set in the 1980s and about Daz's journey through drug and alcohol abuse, how it affects his home life, him and his friends.'
You may also want to watch:
She said schools were invited to bring pupils aged 14 and over to see the show. The group is also looking for sponsors to help with production costs.
Fifteen-year-old Kane Allen, who plays Daz, said the show had an important message, and the cast had done a lot of research, including talking to the Matthew Project.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
'Having students in the play will help young people watching it pay more attention because we are from their peer group,' he said.
Dragon Chaser is at The Curve in the Forum on June 28 and 29.
To sponsor the show or book tickets, call Mrs Ashdown on 07768 830668 or email email@example.com