New youth theatre group for Norwich
A new drama group is being set up to give more children in the Lakenham and Tuckswood area the chance to enjoy theatre.
Lakenham Dale Creative Theatre will start on Monday. It is the idea of Johanne Steward who has named the group in memory of Dale Woodhouse, her 22-year-old godson and cousin from Dereham who died in March. Miss Steward, a 41-year-old learning support assistant at Framingham Earl High School and who lives in Doman Road, said: 'I just wanted to keep Dale's name going and do something to help young people.'
She has previously run an after-school drama club and runs drama sessions in the school holidays. The new weekly classes at Harford Community Centre are for seven to 14-year-olds and designed to be affordable. No experience is necessary, and dressing up and using props will be a key part of the sessions.
'It is that whole idea of getting into a dressing-up box and taking on new characters with a piece of clothing or props. We will do a lot of drama games. It is all about building confidence,' said Miss Steward, who has two children, Lilly, 10, and George, eight.
Once the group is established Miss Steward hopes to put on a small production at Christmas and a bigger outdoor production next summer.
You may also want to watch:
Lakenham Dale Creative Theatre will meet at Harford Community Centre, in Peterkin Road, from 5.15pm until 6.45pm on Mondays during school term-time. Classes are �3 per person. For more information call Miss Steward on 01603 666551 or 07758 841842, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you involved in a new arts project? Email reporter Emma Knights at email@example.com
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 7 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 8 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 9 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 10 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son