New Polish language school opens in Thetford community hub
- Credit: Archant
A new Polish language school has been officially opened in a town by representatives from the country.
The newly formed organisation, which is based at the Charles Burrell Centre in Thetford, teaches Polish and maths to children in addition to their regular school curriculums and aims to ensure their skills are kept to a high standard to support families which may relocate to Poland in the future.
Teachers and staff at the new school were joined by representatives from the Polish Embassy and mayor of Thetford Terry Jermy to celebrate the opening during a ceremony which featured songs and poems performed by students. Guests were also treated to a selection of traditional Polish foods and delicacies.
As well as having a large number of children that attend, the school also teaches adults and is open for anyone to join.
Charles Burrell Centre manager Mark Snowdon said: 'The opening of the new school is a valuable resource for local families and has already helped to enhance relations within the community.
You may also want to watch:
'It also offers an opportunity to improve communication for those that have Polish friends and family.
'Being based at the centre allows the chance to build strong links with other community groups and clubs that are already based here.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Mr Jermy said: 'The school is a great addition to the community in Thetford which will help bring people together through shared learning and better understanding of different cultures.'
Lessons take place every Saturday at the Charles Burrell Centre. For more information please contact 01842 779867.