New block will mean Norfolk village school can take 100 more pupils
A new £2m teaching block will enable a village school to expand.
Norfolk County Council architects have designed the extension for younger pupils at Astley Primary School, between Melton Constable and Briston. Artist's impressions went on show to parents this week.
'It's very exciting for the children,' said head Helen Pegg. 'There will be purpose-built areas for the younger children and it's also going to mean we can increase our capacity. It's massive for the school and massive for the community.'
Astley currently has 207 pupils, from a catchment area which includes Melton Constable, Briston, Hindolveston, Gunthorpe and Hunworth.
Mrs Pegg said the new building would enable numbers to increase to 315.
You may also want to watch:
Architect Rob Black, from Norfolk Property Services, said mobile classrooms used for some lessons would be demolished and the existing school building would be used for teaching year groups three to six.
Graham Pickhaver, chairman of governors, said: 'This is just what we need to get rid of the mobiles and allow for expansion. The bigger the school, the more experience the staff bring and the better the experience the children have.'
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
If planning permission is granted, it is hoped that the new buildings will be ready to open by the end of 2016.
Display boards will be available to view in the school's main hall until the end of the month.
To arrange a viewing, call the school on 01263 860212.
Is your school planning to expand? Email email@example.com.