Mystery shrouds sudden closure of Eaton nursery
- Credit: Archant
Parents have been forced to look elsewhere for child care after a Norwich nursery closed suddenly.
Eaton Park Nursery, in Eaton, will be closed until further notice, after its registration was suspended indefinitely by regulatory body Ofsted.
It remains unclear at this stage what is the reason for the suspension, and the timescale of it.
A statement from Ofsted read: 'We have suspended the registration of this early years setting while we look into concerns about the way it is run.'
It was confirmed, however, that the action taken was a suspension of registration, and not a complete cancellation.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this year, the body responded to two complaints received about the nursery in December 2015, though refrained at the time from suspending its registration.
An unannounced visit was carried out on January 6, which resulted in a notice to improve being issued.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 Do you recognise this man?
- 7 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 10 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
It said the provider must: 'Take all reasonable steps to ensure staff and children are not exposed to risk, and demonstrate how these risks are being managed.'
Concerns were raised about a number of health and safety issues, including an adult toilet being used as a store room, unprotected low level sockets and a broken lock on a medicine cupboard.
However, Ofsted also confirmed that the nursery had provided a satisfactory response to the action plan set out and would remain registered with Ofsted.
The nursery, on Bluebell Road, was opened in April 2014 by directors Laurence Pollington and Karen Newell.
A representative from the nursery declined to comment on the closure.
A statement from Norfolk County Council read: 'We have been informed by Ofsted that it has asked the nursery to close. We don't have any further details at this stage.
'Our free Family Information Service is here to help any parents experiencing difficulties in finding alternative childcare, and we would ask them to contact the Family Information Service on 0344 8008020 or email email@example.com if they need our help.'