King’s Lynn student celebrates top grades after only seven years in the UK
Polish pupil arrived with little English but achieves A* GCSEs
A King's Lynn student who only arrived in the country seven years ago with little English is celebrating her GCSE results.
Aleksandra Szczerba, 16, moved to the UK from her native Poland with 'only the basics' of the English language.
But she achieved the top A* grade in seven subjects and a further four As. Her top grades included German, French and English language - and her linguistic skills are standing her in good stead.
Aleksandra will be staying at Springwood school to study A-levels in is maths, biology, French and English. She will also be taking an additional A-level in Polish in her own time.
You may also want to watch:
'Now I have been learning other languages, I think English was actually quite easy. When I came here I had the basics, but it really wasn't a lot of help,' she said.
Aleksandra attended West Winch Primary School on first arriving in the country and she said everyone there had been very supportive and helpful in helping her get to grips with the language.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 5 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 6 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
'I hope to go on to university to read psychology and perhaps do some prison work. Otherwise I would like to study journalism,' she said.
Her A*s were in maths, drama, German, French, English language, religious education and core science. She achieved As in additional maths, sociology, English literature and additional science.
Aleksandra said her parents were really pleased with her results and she would be celebrating with them and her friends.