Inspiration Trust rejects call to “back down and step away” from Hewett School
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
A controversial academy chain has rejected calls to withdraw from plans to take over a struggling high school, after a consultation showed strong public opposition.
More than 350 people completed a questionnaire about the future of the Hewett School, which the Department for Education (DfE) wants to become an academy, sponsored by the Inspiration Trust (IT).
A report yesterday concluded that, of those who took part, 'the great majority was opposed to the Hewett School being converted into an academy and hostile to Inspiration Trust as the preferred sponsor'.
It said: 'In the questionnaire overall, the arguments against academisation ran around 4:1, with higher proportions of opposition among parents and members of the local community.'
Arguments given in favour included 'the need to make swift change to a failing school', and parents with children at IT schools commenting on how they had progressed.
You may also want to watch:
Lynsey White, a leader of the anti-academy campaign, said: 'We want IT to back down and step away from our school. They can't take over our school when we are so hostile to them. They should say 'we asked the people of Norwich what they wanted, and the people of Norwich said no', so we want them to step away.'
An IT spokesman said: 'Deciding on the proposed changes to the Hewett School is not about a popularity contest or about making symbolic gestures - it is making sure the children of Norwich get the best possible start in life.'
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 7 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 8 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 9 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 10 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
He added: 'Changes are needed to restore the Hewett to the full, bustling, and great place it once was, and we believe the Inspiration Trust has an important part to play in that transformation.'
The DfE said it was considering the findings.
Do you have an education story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org